Group Kidnap & Ransom Insurance
The aim of a kidnap & ransom [ K&R ] insurance policy is to provide an organisation with support and financial reimbursement in the event of kidnap, extortion, detention or hijack of a member of the organisation.
An organisation sending their staff, volunteers or contractors overseas, particularly to more troublesome areas has a duty of care. Whilst there should be suitable risk management such as training and specific protocols including exit plans, K&R insurance can be part of the overall mix of deploying people overseas.
What makes a high profile target?
Individuals can become potential targets for a number of reasons including:
- Working in a position of status / high profile
- Working in a difficult / dangerous city, country or territory
- Working for a large organisation with perceived significant levels of funds
- Lack of awareness / security training
- Family members of the above
Often there is a financial motivation to kidnapping event, with the perpetrators seeking payment of a ransom in return for the release of the hostage.
What does a Kidnap and Ransom insurance policy cover?
K&R insurance policies can be tailored to the needs of an individual organisation but some of the common covers include:
- The cost of reimbursement of a ransom payment [ including any interest on loans required to generate the liquidity required to pay the ransom ]. It is important to note the reimbursement element rather than payment of the ransom demand.
- Costs of replacing a ransom payment lost in transit
- Costs and expenses of response consultants to assist with incident handling
- A wide range of costs including legal, security, travel, rehabilitation, psychiatric and medical
Want to explore some options?
If you wish to explore K&R insurance options for your organisation, then please don’t hesitate to get in touch on a confidential basis.